Many countries around the world have their own healthcare systems that provide healthcare benefits from governmental entities or from public and private insurance companies. These systems are designed to offer citizens healthcare in different ways and at different costs, and while politicians continue to debate the merits of various healthcare system models, one thing is clear: everyone will need some form of healthcare in their lives. If you haven’t had a chance to research the subject, here’s a look at how other healthcare systems operate around the world:
1.) Taiwan – While many Asian countries are on the cutting edge of technology, Taiwan has taken technological advancements and applied them to healthcare. Citizens of Taiwan are issued a smart card from the government, and this card is then used to store and display each patient’s entire medical history with a quick scan. These electronic health records (such as ADSC electronic records) can then be used by doctors to analyze the benefits of various treatment options and to offer the best quality care possible for each individual.go to http://www.who.int/whr/2000/media_centre/press_release/en/ for more details.
2.) France – According to a 2000 report from the World Health Organization, France ranks at the top of the list when it comes to its healthcare system. Citizens of France are able to see any doctor they choose, while the government pays for a large portion of all expenses. The downside to this, however, is that each citizen is required by law to pay for these services through their income, and even at that, this tax only pays for about 70 percent of all care; the other 30 percent is made up by paying for additional private insurance. Additionally, the French government often comes out over budget when it comes to healthcare, meaning the current program may only last for so long before it collapses.
3.) Germany – In Germany, all citizens are required by law to have health insurance. Virtually all German citizens must pay out eight percent of their income to the governmental healthcare system, and employers are required to match this amount. One of the main benefits of Germany’s healthcare system is that it encourages prevention of diseases over treatment. In many cases, German citizens are offered phone calls from doctors and nurses for check-ups, and many of the basic healthcare plans offered by the government-sponsored insurance companies allow citizens to take advantage of non-traditional treatments, such as time spent at a spa. Doesn’t that sound like fun?